So you’re pregnant and changing into a different body as the baby grows. Perhaps you can’t walk as fast or as far as you previously did BUT you still are looking to get out of the house, have fun with some activities and move around a bit. What can you do besides just going on walks?
Disclaimer: This post is not going into any fitness, diet or health-related issues as I am no doctor and there’s plenty out there that will make your head spin. As always, you should always ask medical professionals first before starting something up! But here are options if you’re good to go!
Prenatal Yoga: A multifaceted approach to exercise that encourages stretching, mental centering and focused breathing. Prenatal yoga can: improve sleep, reduce stress/anxiety, increase the strength, flexibility and endurance of muscles needed for childbirth and decrease lower back pain, nausea, headaches and shortness of breath. Offered at the following downtown yoga studios:
- The Yoga Nest (430 York Blvd)
- In Fine Feather Yoga (219 Ottawa St. N)
- Aviva Yoga Studio (270 Sherman St. N, unit 207)
Aqua Fit/ Water Fit: A medium intensity, low-impact workout done to music in the pool. I’m currently doing this with my mom which feels nice on my growing, heavier front! Floating around, it’s relaxing and you can take it as easy or hard as you like.
- Bennetto Community Centre– 450 Hughson St. N
- Central Memorial Rec Centre – 93 West Ave. S
- Jimmy Thompson Pool -1099 King St. East
- Norman Pinky Lewis Rec Centre (*re-opening in Spring 2019)- 192 Wentworth St. N
- Ryerson Rec Centre – 251 Duke St.
- YMCA– 79 James St. S *requires membership, but you can get 5 free visits to try it out
Barre: A combination of ballet inspired poses, influenced by other disciplines such as pilates and yoga to achieve a low-impact, full-body workout. I’ve never tried it but have always been intrigued!
- Fit Barre (145 Main St E., Suite 300)
- Studio Zee Pilates (430 York Blvd)
It’s never too late to try something new and change it up a bit! Yoga is quite popular, but would you try aqua fit or barre? Have you done it before? Let me know!